Saturday, October 16, 2010

Landscape Photos




I learned so much this week from the landscape assignment. I have to admit that when I first read the assignment I was lost. I was asking myself so many questions about what would fulfill the definition of a "landscape" also I had questions about what the correct framing of a landscape was. In the "What is a Landscape?" article it asks if landscape is a "passive backdrop to human theatre?" I believe that it is a backdrop, but an active one. This "backdrop" is our habitat/environment and can also be seen as a defining element of the people that live in it. The part that stuck with me the most was the first quote in "Landscape as Process"that describes landscape:

"Landscapes are dynamic, shaped by ongoing physical, biological,
social, and spiritual processes: motion, growth, and exchange;
birth, death, and decay; communication, building, learning;
dreaming and worship." 

I think this quote puts the definition of landscape into a very different and thought provoking perspective.

3 comments:

  1. The bottom photo is very well composed. I like how the bare trees cut into the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite landscape shot is the first photograph (shot looking down the road, back up at the hills). This is so representative the area in which I live. It struck a chord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I like the bottom photo the best. It captures the warmth of the sun and the chill of a fall morning.

    ReplyDelete